Sunday 23 February 2014

[Review] The Face Shop: Face It Concealer

Review on my current go to current concealer.


Longevity: 8/10
Coverage: Light to Heavy (depending on which side you use)
Price: $
When I was at the Face Shop store in Pacific Mall, my friend had asked me to double check the price of this concealer. She was thinking of buying it because she had seen it on Get It Beauty and it had apparently won their Blind Test for concealers in 2012. For those of you who don't know what Get It Beauty is, it's a Korean beauty talk show that reviews products and shows you makeup looks and techniques that are currently popular and trendy.


What it is:
Double sided concealer with liquid on one side and cream on the other. This concealer comes in three shades, NB17, NB21 and NB23. I bought the medium shade NB21.

Price: $11 - $16USD on Ebay

What I like:
I wouldn't consider myself as having really bad dark circles, but I do get them (normally due to a lack of sleep). The liquid concealer is good enough to cover my dark circles and it doesn't dry up the under eye area. Most importantly it doesn't bring out my under eye lines (*cough* I'm talking to you Make Up Forever HD Concealer >_>).

I like that the liquid concealer also applies evenly and easily with both a brush and fingers. The texture of the liquid formula is a little bit thicker so it doesn't drip or run when you pull out the brush and are trying to apply it. The finish for both the liquid and cream concealer is a nice matte natural but it doesn't have any brightening effects. The liquid concealer finish also isn't powdery or clumpy looking. The concealer lasts for at least a 7.5hr day at work too! From my experiences so far, unless you're rubbing your face or sweating profusely the concealer (both cream and liquid) won't budge.


What I don't like:
As I said earlier, my dark circles aren't that bad. But when they are bad, they are really bad. It's unfortunate that the liquid isn't buildable enough to allow full coverage of my bad dark circles. By not buildable, I mean if you use too much it starts looking cakey.


Why not use the cream concealer you ask? I mean it is for heavier concealment of things right?
NO. The reason I don't use the cream concealer is because it just sits in your under eye lines. The cream is also really drying. Emphasis on the drying. If you don't already have a dry spot where you put the concealer, you're guaranteed to have one by the end of the day. For example, say you have a recovering pimple and you cover it up with the cream concealer. Out of sight, out of mind right? Well not exactly, by lunch time you're at the bathroom looking in the mirror thinking what's that flakeyness where my pimple used to be? That, ladies would be the concealer sucking all the moisture out of the face. Ewww.

The formula for both the cream and liquid also oxidizes a bit. It's only a minor problem though since it doesn't oxidize to the point where it doesn't match my skin tone at all. You'd have to really be scrutinizing at my face to notice the slight change in colour.

Overall:
It's a pretty decent liquid concealer for the price. I give a thumbs up for sure to the liquid concealer but a thumbs down for the cream. I mean the cream does conceal but the alarming rate at which the cream dries out the skin is definitely off putting. If you don't have ridiculous dark circles, I definitely recommend picking this up and just using the liquid. I know it's a bit of a waste to not use the cream but the cream is really that bad. I figure once I use the liquid up, I'll probably repurchase this unless I find a better affordable concealer.
Happy weekend everyone!
ahumbuggy out ^o^





2 comments:

  1. Have you tried putting on eye-shadow primer before? Maybe that would prevent the concealer from going in your under eyes lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used primer and eye-shadow primer with this particular concealer, both the liquid and stick form, and I'd say that it doesn't really make that big of a difference in terms of the product settling into the fine lines (at least for me). Don't get me wrong though - I agree with ahumbuggy, at the end of the day, the liquid concealer is definitely worth the money.

    ReplyDelete